The day before the party, I was able to finish up the gifts we had started making. Our puffy paint finally dried, so I put everything together in our lovely (also decorated with puffy paint) gift bags. I think these turned out quite nice :-)
What didn't turn out quite nice were a few other pre-party disasters. First, let me start by saying that as I was baking cupcakes I decided to wear the following shirt:

It's from Johnny Cupcakes, and I picked it up on my trip to Boston. Despite it being super badass, it didn't protect me from cupcake catastrophe...
I decided to make 2 types of cupcakes for the party. First, I cheated and made yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting and sprinkles from a mix. This was mostly to save me a bit of time and use things I already had on hand. I also made Creme Brulee cupcakes w/ brown sugar SMBC from scratch (thanks again, HTEAC!). I made these for our last party and loved them, so I thought it would certainly be foolproof to do them again. Well, not quite...
Everything seemed fine when I started. The batter looked and tasted yummy. A few cupcakes were spreading out a bit too much instead of having that perfect dome shape, but that was no big deal. I knew they would still taste good. Too bad when I went to pull them out of the oven the pan slipped from my hand, burned my poor little pinky finger, and sent cupcakes flying all over the place! I had 10 cupcake casualties out of my 24 :-(
Way to go, Sam
They were sort of funny how they plopped and squished everywhere. These ones were my favorites, especially the little guy who looks like he lost his hat. Aww!
Fortunately, the rest of the cupcakes that did survive were very tasty. I venture to say these could be my favorite cupcakes. Although I really love the mocha ones, I feel like I have to be in the right mood for them. On the other hand, the creme brulee cupcakes seem perfect for anything. They're not super sweet, the cake is very moist and light thanks to folding in the egg whites, and the brown sugar swiss meringue buttercream is fantastic! I can't get enough of this frosting! I love the texture and the taste, and it's always so satisfying to watch it finally come together after several minutes of mixer action.
Cupcake Survivors
Our super cute desserts at the party
Although this was probably the worst thing that happened, I had a few other mini-disasters on the day of the party too! While making guacamole, I found that half of my avocados were bad. They didn't look it on the outside, but I should have known. It's so hard to find good avocados in Ohio and especially at certain times of the year. Most of the time when I go to the store they're all over ripe and mushy. I was a bit disappointed since everyone seems to like (and had specifically requested) my guacamole. There ended up being enough, so I guess it all worked out.
The other thing that went sort of wrong was trying to make something akin to pizza bites/ pizza rolls. I made a few -- well about 9 of them -- but I decided to quit because that alone took 45 minutes! With 2 hours before the party at that point, I didn't think it would be possible to make around 80+ in that amount of time, so I went with Plan B, which was just making a pizza.
I don't think I've had that many slip ups happen to me before a party! Fortunately, everything worked out just fine, and I'm sure no one even knew ;-)
I'll post a few party pictures next time...

No comments:
Post a Comment