What's Cooking...

Would writing about a restaurant visit during which I took no pictures be totally lame?

Monday, September 22, 2008

Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce

I found something new to do with my abundance of poblanos from the garden! Tonight I made Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce, which I got from the Everyday Food: Great Food Fast book I checked out from the library (but is conveniently online too). This is a pretty nice book. It has photos of every recipe, it's organized by seasons, and it's from Martha! How could you not love it? Hehe...

Although my photo is not quite as pretty as the book's or website's, this was a delicious dinner. My poblanos turned red, so I had more of an orangey (rather than pale green) cream sauce. I also added some cilantro to it and topped it with tomato just for fun. The book was right - the sauce isn't very spicy at all because the chiles mellow out from the roasting. In fact, the sauce was slightly sweet, and it's a good think Adrian and I liked it because we have a ton left over. Perhaps I can freeze it or make up a pasta recipe to use it in... I'll figure out something!


The rice I made with it, although nothing special, is also one of my favorite things to do. I cook rice - usually just white rice or maybe basmati or jasmine if I'm feeling exotic - then, I add lime juice, salt, pepper, cilantro, and sometimes a little butter once it is cooked. Mmm!

Yesterday, I had a great find at the North Market. Maybe these have been around all summer, but I guess I haven't looked in a while. I found these awesome eggplants (so cute!):


I didn't plan on using eggplant for anything during the week, but I couldn't resist these, so I decided to make up some kind of eggplant gratin. First, I browned the eggplant in a pan. Then, in a baking dish I layered thin slices of purple, then white, then purple, and so on with parmesan, garlic, and onions in between. It baked it for about 15 min. at 375. The eggplant had a very mild flavor and perfectly tender, but not mushy, texture. We ate this as our side dish with some golden trout we also bought at the market. 

I don't know what's happened with me lately, but I need to get out to the market more. It's always worthwhile :-)


No comments: