What's Cooking...

Would writing about a restaurant visit during which I took no pictures be totally lame?

Friday, June 20, 2008

My Backyard :-)

This is the second summer that Adrian and I have spent at our current apartment, and since moving here last May, I think we've made a lot of improvements to our outdoor space. We have a small backyard that is fenced in. It's very convenient with the dog, but it wasn't the best looking space when we first got it.

It seems the landlord and the previous tenants were a bit lazy. First, the landlord had the yard graveled so that he would not have to mow it. So really it seems more like a patio than a yard per se, and I don't mind that part at all. However, weeds still pop up between the pebbles, and a nearby tree deposits seeds that start growing into tiny trees. When we moved in, the yard was overrun with weeds and miniature trees. And, as we pulled them up and cut them down, we also discovered pants... then a jacket... then a shirt... indeed, a full suit crumpled up amidst the plants. Needless to say, there were many improvements to be made. 

After that, we purchased a ton of pots and began planting. We also managed to get a grill and some furniture, and soon the space was looking inhabitable again. 

This year I think we've done even better. I really like the plants I picked out, and by lucking out at several plant sales, I've managed to put together quite an herb garden. Here are some pictures of everything...

I've stuck with a lot of purples and pinks (and some random orange) with my flowers. I really like these daisies.

This is a nice view of the herb/vegetable side of the yard. This is a few weeks old, so things have grown a surprising amount in a short period. Here I have lime mint, mint julep, purple basil, green bouquet basil (has very small leaves), Greek oregano, curled leaf parsley, chives, French tarragon, rosemary, bell, serrano, and poblano peppers, Italian flat leaf parsley, Genovese basil, cinnamon basil, thyme, dill, lemon thyme, cilantro, and 3 kinds of tomatoes. I absolutely love having all of this. It's great to just walk outside and have all of this at my fingertips, and it's pretty inspiring when I'm cooking dinner. Last year, I only had one tomato plant, and the squirrels got all of them! This year I've only had one tomato casualty, and I've had 3 nice tomatoes ripen already. 

Here is our little table where we like to eat dinner, especially if we've been grilling. And, of course, little Olive coming to get me.

This is my corner of flowers, although not all of them are in bloom here. The lilies have yet to open, and things are not quite as big as they are presently.

Hens & chicks! I like these guys :-)




No comments: