What's Cooking...

Would writing about a restaurant visit during which I took no pictures be totally lame?

Monday, April 21, 2008

A Man Who Can Cook

The majority of the time, I cook dinners and Adrian helps me out either by prepping or cleaning up. Lately, he has been cooking a lot more. And with the grilling season approaching, I'm sure this will only increase (yesss!!!). On Saturday he cooked an awesome meal, Chile-Garlic Shrimp (from Cooking Light again) :-D

I suppose I shouldn't give Adrian all the credit, though. Olive helped out as usual :-)

Although I didn't have direct experience making this dish, it seemed pretty simple and went really quickly. I really liked the flavor of it -- spicy and lemony. Also, we didn't have brown rice, but the white rice seemed just fine.

Here is the recipe:

1 (3 1/2-ounce) bag boil-in-bag brown rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp (about 32)
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil

1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 large garlic cloves, sliced
1 bay leaf
1/2 cup dry white wine
4 (1/4-inch-thick) lemon slices
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon butter
Lemon wedges (optional)

1. Cook rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.

2. Sprinkle salt and black pepper evenly over shrimp. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp, red pepper, garlic, and bay leaf to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add wine and lemon to pan. Increase heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat. Discard bay leaf and lemon. Add parsley and butter, stirring until butter melts. Serve shrimp and sauce over rice. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.

The final product. Mmm.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so impressed - I had no idea you guys ate so well! Being foodies and all, you might like Jeffery Steingarten or Michael Ruhlman - all very interesting and funny food non-fiction!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

My mom always gets mad when I'm baking while my cat is in the kitchen, but he's like my good luck charm! :) Your dog is so cute. My boyfriend and I want to get one and name him King Arthur. Hahaha

Audrey said...

So I think I might try making this... and I'm buying stuff for it tomorrow probably... what sorta wine should I get? Honestly by the name on the bottle I haven't the slightest clue if its dry or... wet... hehe

Sam said...

I think we used a chardonnay in this. Let me know how it turns out :-)